Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Message About Discrimination, Love, And Being Who You Are

I would like to write about an issue that I feel very strongly about, and that is homophobia.

I am not afraid to speak out against it, but up til now it's made me afraid to come out as a homosexual. Afraid of what others would think. Afraid that people wouldn't want to know me. But what use is living in fear? I know I'm a great person. I know I'm worthy of being loved, just like everyone else. I am me. I was born this way. Nothing wrong with that.

It makes me sad that there is still so much hate towards gay people in this world. Claims that homosexuality is a sin. That it shouldn't exist. That gay people should go to hell. Hatred. Violence. Bullying. This then leads the victims to depression, self-hate, loneliness and sometimes, suicide.

Why hate on those who are different from you? What good does it do? No one can help being born the way they are. Regardless of race, colour, sexuality, gender, mental and physical ability, species, everyone deserves respect. When we learn to love and respect others, we are happier, and they are happier as well. Win-win.

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal. So someone is attracted to people of the same sex. So what? As long as that person's happy, that should be all that really matters. We have no right to tell people that who they are is wrong. They might not be right by your standards, but they are right for themselves.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Try to see the world through the other person's eyes. Take a minute to think how your actions and words could affect this person. And if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

I can only hope that those who know me would look at me the same way they did before I came out. I am still the same person, no different. But in the end, their opinion doesn't matter to me, because it's what I think of myself that truly matters. I'm coming out because I'm tired of being afraid of what others might think of me. It'd be easy to keep it in the dark. No one who meets me would ever be able to tell that I'm a lesbian. But this is who I am, so why try to hide it? I am finally true to myself. And I want others to know that it's okay to be true to themselves too.

I want to finish with a message to the victims of bullying, if any of you are reading this post.
  You are beautiful. You are wonderful. Love yourself for who you are. Don't listen to the hateful people. They're the ones with the problem, not you. Don't let them affect your happiness, because you deserve to be happy. Stay strong. It gets better. I promise. And if you feel you have no one, if you feel there's no place for you in the world, email me, and I will listen.

6 comments:

  1. That's very sweet Emmy. Well done. Thanks very much for sharing. :)

    There will always be people who like you, and who don't like you, no matter who they think you are. We may as well all be who we really are and that way, at least the people who like us, will genuinely like us and not like us because they think we're something we are not.

    Great happiness always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful article full of self love and joy and so inspiring to read. Sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I think of the pressures many Gays and Lesbians, etc. have been and still are subjected to, or subject themselves to, it breaks my heart. People are people, sentient beings like all others, just trying to make their way from one minute to the next, from birth to death.

    Your sexual identity matters not to me, Emmy. All that matters is the goodness in your heart. I wish you continued strength, good health, and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmy,

    Great blog. I hope your decision to be honest about who you are brings satisfaction and a sense of happiness about yourself, and I also wish for you that there will be *few or no* negative consequences from having to interact in a world that includes bigots and those looking for a "socially acceptable" target for their anger and hostility.

    Peace and joy to you,
    Dede

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Liz, Jeffrey and Dede ♥

    ReplyDelete